Wednesday, December 08, 2010

John Lennon

This week there are many tributes and retrospectives of John Lennon's life marking the 30 years since his death. Even though Lennon is one of my Rock N Roll heroes, I'm not watching any of the coverage. I think its one thing to celebrate the guy's life, but it feels like we're celebrating the guy's death. That's something I want no part of. I won't even call it "the anniversary of his death." Anniversaries are something to look forward to. The manner in which he died was so tragic, so grisly, that I think its best to let that chapter of his life be. It makes me think of how dead celebrities are raised to immortal status, but while they were living they were shit on. Michael Jackson is another example of this. He couldn't give away his records for the 10 years before his death, then he dies and everyone's his biggest fan. All those who shit on him are calling him a musical legend. It's no different with Lennon. They couldn't wait to kick him out of the country in the 1970s. His albums weren't big sellers, then he dies and his albums are now classics. People like that fucking Fox news did specials about the last days of Lennon's life. Had he been alive, he would have despised everything Fox stands for. But hey, it's ok, let's exploit the death of an icon. All you need is ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment