Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Billy Joel Owes Me $58

If you could make any musical into a cabaret act, sort of like the Rocky Horror Picture Show, with people acting out the parts en masse, which musical would you choose and which part would you play?

Funny that this question came up. I recently saw "Movin' Out," which is a musical set to Billy's music. Now I love Billy Joel's music, I have since I was a kid. So you can imagine my excitement when I hear the musical was coming to town. Well this was a load of horse shit. Picture this: a bad Billy Joel tribute act playing the hits at the top of the stage, and about 20 dancers doing something between ballet and a seizure. These horrible dancers could've been dancing to anything. It just so happens that their costumes corresponded to the stories in his song. No type of acting or anything. The musical was choreographed by Twyla Tharpe, who is supposed to be the best choreographer since Jesus, but I didn't see the attraction. This pablum actually won a Tony. I may not know broadway, but I know horse shit. I guess thats why people like me don't go to the theatre. If I ever see The Piano Man, I'm gonna demand my $58 back.

So now to the question at hand... what musical would I make into a cabaret act. Hmm how about Purple Rain. The greatest rock flick ever. The music sort of tells a story, and the dancing would be great. I can just hear Morris yelling in a operatic voice, "Come back, ya long haired faggit!"

What do you think? Hit comments and release your inner Andrew Lloyd Webber.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:45 AM

    My thoughts exactly.
    After the girlfriend dragged me to see this, she owes me.
    I love Billy Joel's music as well as his former and current wives....but this was a load of horsecrap

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me to show up at another broadway show, it would need to have nudity, profanity, and probably a car chase. :)

    ReplyDelete