Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Oscars, etc.

1. Do you like awards shows? If you do, what do you like best about them? If you're not a fan, tell us why. I usually like the music-related ones, just because you see people play music, and musicians know the shows are bogus, and its just an industry's attempt at auto-fellatio. I watched the Oscars this year because I was over by a friends house with some friends and it was a good ending to a really really fucked-up few days.

This year's show was OK. Chris Rock seemed so out of place. It was like the ABC execs were keeping his pets hostage so he wouldn't make trouble. They did keep the show going fast by giving out awards in the audience. There were no of those cheezy song-and-dance number. It would be terrible to see Chris Rock doing a tribute to the Aviator by singing and dancing in an Aviator costume.

2. Which awards show is your favorite? Are there any awards shows you can live without? My favorite is the MTV music awards, just because its not usual top 40 people, and there none of those retarded categories like "Best CD spine art direction by a group or duo - Jazz." I can live without all the awards shows. I agree with Chris Rock... not only is it ridiculous for an industry to tell itself how great it is... but its also ridiculous to give an award on something as subjective as art.

3. Do you tune into the red carpet specials before the awards shows? Sometimes, if there's nothing else on. I can't take Joan and Melissa, and it'll be a cold day in hell before I watch 2 seconds of that pig Star Jones.

~ BONUS ~ Have you ever been to an awards show or to the red carpet? Is there one that you'd like to attend? Or would you be more interested in the after-show parties with the star I've never been to an awards show, but the Atlanta Grammy Chapter gives away awards for lifetime achievement, and I've been to that once. I saw James Brown and Bo Diddley sitting at the same table cracking jokes.. then I turned around and bump into TLC (the two not-dead members), then I made smalltalk at the bar with Nelson Eddy (the guy who made the Peter Gunn theme). It was cool. I'd love to go to the MTV Music Awards. Prince threw a Grammy afterparty last month, I'd give my left nut to show up there.

No comments:

Post a Comment