Saturday, December 18, 2004

... in other words...

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.
-- Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

While I usually wouldn't quote an ultra-liberal ultra-bland comedian, this quote was up on a meme webpage, so I figured it was as good as any other quote to write about. I have made more mistakes than I care to remember... nor will I. But I've tried to learn from each of them. I've often not heeded that lesson learned. I've hurt people who don't deserve it, I've hurt myself by not heeding those lessons, I've wasted time and energy that could have been saved by seeing the writing on the wall. Billy Joel said your mistakes are the only things you can truly call your own. So I take ownership of those mistakes, and their lessons, and I appreciate them. You have to own up to that responsibility for those mistakes. This may or may not make sense, I'm tired, I hurt, and insomnia has become an unwelcome nightly visitor. Besides being another of life's cruel ironies, insomnia has a way of making you remember those mistakes. So you have no choice but to face them, or shut the hell up. I choose the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment