Friday, November 12, 2004

Drawing The Line

Where is the line between what you do and what you are?
Last night I interviewed a scared, teenage couple, whose 5-month-old son had been taken by a baby sitter. As I sat in their home asking them questions, the tears flowed from their eyes. I asked them to retell their story for the camera, with each detail, my heart broke even more. I can't imagine the pain they're going through, and as they talked it became clear to me, they didn't know what to do. They were lost in a community that may or may not help... and a police system that's bogged down already. My dilemma was how to keep down the lump in my throat... and still do my job, to look for that perfect soundbite that will make the story work. After I had asked them all the questions I needed... I felt like I had raked these poor people over hot coals. When I was done, I waited by the door while the photographer shot the baby's empty bassinett and the toys that will go unplayed with. The couple then embraced and bawled. I gave them the only comfort I felt I could offer in that situation. I told them I'd get the word out, and that someone will see this woman, and the police will find her. I felt drained as we drove off. Did I help these people? Or did I just capture the lead of the newscast? Would the circumstances be different if I was in their position? God Forbid, what if that was my kid? Would I want somebody asking me questions like that? I tried to be as diplomatic as I could. What more could I have done? Later that night, the mother called, and said someone told her they saw the babysitter with the child. I told her to call the police, she hadn't. She called me first. About 3 times in the middle of the night, I checked my voice mail, hoping they'd call and tell me the baby was found. No luck. Today, another reporter followed the story all day, and eventually someone saw the woman and the baby, and by the 6 o'clock news, the baby was back with the family. The mother said the babysitter brought the baby back because she saw herself on the news. As I watched the beautiful little 5 month old boy giggle and smile for the camera, I felt like I had played a very small part in making this happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment