Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Movie Reviews

Here's my reviews of the last few movies I've seen.
Garden State. This was a nice little movie. One of those coming-of-age learning-myself movies. It teetered on being stupid, but it kept my attention pretty well. Natalie Portman was great. I was impressed that young Zach Braff wrote and directed this deep movie by himself. Zach is a kid who comes home to Jersey after being out in LA for a while. Once back his past comes rushing back while colliding with his present and future. He's filled with the same questions that we all face, where am I going? Does my past determine my future? In the end he meets quirky chick Natalie Portman and they live happily ever after. The End. If only it was like that in real life. I kept waiting for the Dr. Cox to come in and call him a girl's name like on Scrubs.

Napoleon Dynamite. This is sure to eventually be a classic. Its a story about a dork's life. Me being a dork, I can identify with this. He lives in a surreal world. There's very little story per se, its more of like a weird underdog story. Except there's no bad guy, and in the end, the character doesn't really change from the beginning, which is usually what you want in a character. Its pretty funny I would recommend it. This will be one of those quotable movies, like Wayne's World, Austin Powers and Anchorman.

Polar Express was a cute little Christmas movie. I can't see it watching it at any other time. The animation was amazing, except for the facial expressions, which are next to impossible to make perfect. Good flick to bring kids to.

I didn't get to Meet The Fockers which is apparently the best movie of the Holiday Season. I don't get it. I didn't see it, but how can any movie with Barbra Streisand be any good? What movies did you see? Hit comments and release your inner Ebert.

No comments:

Post a Comment